A real wild trail for passionate trailers: 2 passes, 2 climbs, 2 descents and 2 Cantons crossed:manicured mountain pastures of the Oberland, bucolic village of Lenk, and an arrival in the heart of Crans-Montana!
Saturday 14th September 2024
Adelboden - 08:15
Max Allowed Race Time
From the canton of Bern to the canton of Valais
Starting from Adelboden in the heart of the Canton of Berne, the 1st ascent is along the famous Chuenisbärgli, the world cup alpine ski run, then the Via Alpina through the well-tended alpine meadows of the Bernese Oberland to the village of Lenk. This is followed by a magnificent but demanding 1,700 m D+ climb to the highest point of the race, the Wildstrubel hut at 2,800 m altitude, before returning to the Canton of Valais via the Rawyl pass.....
Transportation between the start and the finish is provided by the organization. Find out more in your runner page.
BY PUBLIC TRANSPORTS ON SATURDAY:
- From the Valais :
Only from Sierre
leaving at 05:23am to arrive at Adelboden at 07:02am.
Train transfer at Visp and Frutigen and then Frutigen - Adelboden by bus.
- From Swiss German part :
Train from Spiez
leaving at 06:12 am to arrive at Adelboden at 07:02 am.
Train transfer at Frutigen (bus).
- From the Valais :
Lötschberg tunnel (with the car in the train CHF 28.--).
leaving from Goppenstein at 05:18am to arrive at Kandersteg at 05:34am
leaving from Goppenstein at 06:03am to arrive at Kandersteg at 06:19am
leaving from Goppenstein at 06:28am to arrive at Kandersteg at 06:44am
and then Kandersteg - Adelboden, approx. 45 minutes
- From Valais : By car to Goppenstein, then parking at Goppenstein station (free), then train :
from Goppenstein (05:38) to Adelboden (07:02) (switch by bus in Frutigen)
To collect the car on Saturday after the race, Crans-Montana - Goppenstein:
- From Swiss German part :
Berne: approx. 1h
Zurich: approx. 2h15
Spiez: approx 30min
Frutigen: approx 20min
Please note that these timetables may be subject to adjustment.
The detailed transport plan will be communicated at a later date.
For logistical reasons, no runners will be transported on Saturday morning, race day.
Buses will be provided by the organization to take runners (free) and accompanying supporters (paying) from Crans-Montana to Adelboden the day before the start.
Buses will leave Crans-Montana (Ycoor bus stop) at 4.45pm and arrive in Adelboden at 7pm.
Accompanying supporters : On Saturday morning after the start of the race, buses will be organised from Adelboden to Crans-Montana via Lenk (so you can watch your runner pass by).
Crans-Montana, Place Ycoor
Thursday, 12th of September, 2024 : from 4:00pm to 8:00pm
Adelboden, Turism Office, Dorfstrasse 23
Friday, 13th of September, 2024 : from 6:00pm to 8:30pm
Saturday, 14th of September 2024 : from 6:30am to 8:15am
Timings may be subject to change
All clothing must be the correct size for the competitor and without having been modified in any way after leaving the factory. You carry this equipment on you or in a pack which is not interchangeable during the race.
You have to bring the full list of mandatory equipment below. According to the weather forecast, we will remove some from the list if we consider they will not be useful. The final list will be confirmed 1 or 2 days before the race.
- Running pack to carry mandatory gear throughout the race.
- the runner must be reachable at any time before, during and after the race:
- with international roaming that works in Switzerland.
- Each runner should save the organization's safety phone numbers, not mask/block their number and do not forget to start the race with the battery fully charged.
- Keep the phone ON at all times, airplane mode is forbidden and could result in a penalty.
- LiveTrail application installed and activated in order to locate you in case of emergency.
- An external battery is highly recommended.
- Personal cup 15 cl/5oz minimum (bottles or flasks with lids are not accepted)
- Minimum water supply of 1 liter.
- Food reserve. Recommendation of 800kcal (ex : 2 gels + 2 power bars)
- One working headlamp with spare cells/batteries.
- Recommendation of 200 lumens.
- Survival blanket of 1.40m x 2m minimum / 55 inches x 80 inches or survival bag
- Whistle .
- Self-adhering elastic bandage for bandaging or strapping (minimum 100 cm x 6 cm / 40 inches x 2,5 inches)
- Jacket with hood for bad weather in the mountains. The jacket must be made of a waterproof* and breathable** membrane (e.g.. Outdry)
- *minimum recommended 10 000 Schmerber (10,000 mm).
- **RET value recommended: minimum of 13.
- the jacket must have an integrated hood or one which is attached to the jacket by the original system designed for that purpose by the manufacturer.
- the seams must be sealed.
- the jacket must not have sections of fabric which are not waterproof. Air vents fitted by the manufacturer (under-arm, in the back) are accepted.
- It is the runner's responsibility to judge, with these criteria if their jacket fits the regulations stated to face bad weather in the mountains. But during a check, the judgment is made by the person in charge.
- Long-legged trousers or race leggings OR a combination of leggings and socks to cover the legs completely.
- Waterproof overpants
- Additional warm second layer: a warm second layer top with long sleeves (excluding cotton) weighing at least 180g (6,5 onces) OR the combination of a long-sleeved warm undergarment (first or second layer, excluding cotton) weighing at least 110g (4 onces) and a windproof jacket* with durable water-repellent protection (DWR protection)
- *the wind-proof jacket does not replace the mandatory waterproof jacket, or vice versa
- Warm gloves
- ID passport/ID card
If you choose to take poles, it's for the whole race. It's forbidden to start without poles and take some along the way, or vice versa.
Other recommended equipment (non-exhaustive list)
bowl and kitchenware if you wish to eat a meal. They won't be available on the aid stations.
Spare warm clothing, indispensable in the case of cold or wet weather or in the case of injury.
Poles in the case of rain or snow for your security on slippery ground.
Vaseline or anti-heat cream.
A 20 CHF note
Knife or scissors for cutting elasticated bandage.
Emergency sewing kit...
Race officials are entitled to check your backpack at any time during the race.
When collecting their number, each participant receives a 30-litre bag.
After having filled it with the items of their choice and closed it, they can deposit it at the start in the space dedicated to it.
The bag will be transported to Crans-Montana place Ycoor for the finish.
Assistance authorized at :
Only one person per runner is allowed to enter the official feed zone at these points.
- Lenk, Tennisplatz, Oberriedstrasse 15, 3775 Lenk
Google Map : https://goo.gl/maps/e3Pm53UrLzvunYi57
- Barrage de Tseuzier, 1972 Ayent
Google Map : https://goo.gl/maps/HvZ2NDFKquSssana7
Assistance not authorized at :
Supporters may still access the refreshment points and encourage their runner, but no assistance may be provided at the points identified as "without assistance".
- Sillerebüel, Sillerenbühl, 3715 Adelboden
Google Map : https://goo.gl/maps/thvTHJ9rUF1pBns39
- Iffigenalp, Berghaus, Iffigenalpstrasse 207E, 3975 Lenk
Google Map : https://goo.gl/maps/m8FEvbwBDjiG8Ntq5
- Cabane Wildstrubel, Wildstrubelhütte, 3975 Lenk
Google Map : https://goo.gl/maps/Yw3UvFu6f7a32mkT6
WARNING: The road from Adelboden to Lenk through the Hahnemoos Pass is closed all year round and forbidden to unauthorized vehicles. You will need to drive through Frutigen and Spiez to reach Lenk, allowing about 1h30 of driving time.
The organisation will provide shuttles to bring the runners back to Crans-Montana in case of withdrawal or if the time limits are exceeded.
For logistical or traffic reasons, buses may be subject to delays.
Withdrawals can be made at the following points:
Outside these points, no shuttle service can be guaranteed.
Around the race
Plan your stay and check out all the tourist activities and experiences around the Wildstrubel massif.
A "best of the Alps" destination
Wildstrubel by UTMB® will take you on a magnificent journey through the northern Alps of Switzerland, connecting the Swiss cantons of Valais and Bern around the Wildstrubel massif.
Things to do
Extand your stay before or after the race to explore the area around the Wildstrubel massif with family or friends.
Book your accommodation
Check out the wide range of accommodation on offer in Crans-Montana and in the Adelboden-Kandersteg-Lenk area.
How to get there
A tourist resort located in the canton of Valais, Crans-Montana is at the heart of the Wildstrubel by UTMB®. Easily accessible by different means of transport, we recommend that you make maximum use of public transport.
Participate in WILD 50
All the information you need to know before starting an extraordinary adventure.
Rules and Regulations
Check out the official Rules and Regulations for the next edition of Wildstrubel by UTMB®, including entry process and fees, mandatory equipment, health and environment policies and much more.
Thanks to your participation in this race, you will collect 2 Running Stones that gives an additional chance to be selected via the lottery to the UTMB® World Series Finals - OCC, CCC® and UTMB®.